Saturday, July 11, 2009

Spend or Save


This morning, while others were still asleep, Jed began to talk to me about his piggy-bank. I wasn't quite getting all of it but the cliff-notes go something like this: Dad. Yes Jed. I want to break open my pig piggy-bank. Why Jed. It's old... AND then I can fill my big bank. And then we can open it and go to Disney World. Disney World? Yeah Dad, Disney World. Is that enough money Dad? Not quite Jed.

Levi now jumps in, feeling the need to add his part: My piggy-bank died and went to heaven. Is that so Levi? Yeah.

And all discussion of piggy-banks and Disney World and heaven ended that quickly. And I was left with one of those quiet and extremely meaningful smiles that a parent experiences time and again between the other stuff and the not so bright moments. And... And I was left wondering if this was some harbinger of the future where Jed is saving up for the expensive things and Levi is spending his pennies and nickels and dimes and dollars on cheap little things leaving his piggy-bank dead and "in heaven."

Time will tell. The boys will forget the conversation. As for me, I'm writing it down here for you, sure, but possibly even more so for myself so that I can remember this little moment in the future...

1 comment:

Cindy said...

David, Your story was a good one!!!! Your boys are very smart I'm happy to say their my great-nephew's I hope the boys got the card I sent.I couldn't swat the flies so I was going to bed hungry.
Ha!!Ha!!


Love,
Cindy